Glossary - B
- Microscopic unicellular plant lacking chlorophyll and fully defined nuclei.
Bambusa Vulgaris Leaf/Stem Extract
- This plant contains over 70% organic silica. Silica stimulates chondroblasts to product Chondroitin and Hyaluronic Acid providing strength and resilience to collagen and elastin.
- A substance that allows the flow of product into the skin (through the cell structure of the epidermis) or through keratinized structure such as a fingernail or hair.
Basal Layer (Stratum Basale)
- Innermost layer of the epidermis; contains living and dividing cells.
Basal Lamina (Lamina Densa)
- Basement membrane
- In chemistry, a substance which when dissolved in water provides hydroxyl ions from its own molecules; a molecule or ion which can accept protons.
Basic Skin Care
- Products that care for the needs of the skin on a day-to-day basis. Usually consists of a cleanser, freshener and moisturizer.
Bearberry Extract (Uva Ursi)
- Derived from the Arctostaphyllos Uva Ursi plant. Contains a natural hydroquinone sugar complex that is more stable than synthetically derived hydroquinone. Used in an encapsulated liposomal form that delivers the active ingredients directly to the cellular level. Fades hyperpigmentation spots on the skin by interfering with melanin synthesis.
- a substance that is secreted by bees and is used by them for constructing the honeycomb, that is a dull yellow solid plastic when warm, and that is composed of a mixture of esters, cerotic acid, and hydrocarbons
Bellis Perennls (Daisy) Flower Extract
- An antioxidant and natural brightener.
- Mild form of illness as opposed to fatal or malignant.
- Mineral-rich clay that absorbs excess oil/sebum from skin. Reduces shine. Emulsifier. Soothes skin.
Benzalkonium Chloride (Alkyldimethylbenzylammonium Chloride)
- Antimicrobial. Used as a preservative.
- Absorbs and filters UV light, protecting skin from UV damage.
- An oxygen-releasing chemical in the organic peroxide family. With application to affected area, it is absorbed and releases the oxygen to destroy P.acnes bacteria and will have some effect on microcomedo formation.
- Preservative, solvent.
Benzylidene Dimethoxydimethylindanone (SymHelios®)
- Protects against the damaging effects of UV radiation and future sun damage while reducing UVB-induced wrinkles and inflammation.
- Antioxidant, protects against UV damage.
- An effective antioxidant and free radical scavenger.
Beta Hydroxy Acid
- Also known as Salicylic Acid. Aids exfoliation by weakening the links between cells in the outer layer of dead skin, allowing the normal shedding process to occur at a more optimum rate. By helping new cells surface, it improves skin texture, unclogs pores, enhances penetration (and therefore effectiveness) of ingredients such as Vitamin C. It may also play a role in building skin-firming collagen and elastin, especially when incorporated into a two-step chemical peel. Although synthetic, it is close in structure to an acid that occurs naturally in skin, making it generally nonirritating. Dr. Gross has found that skincare products with several different kinds of acids (AHAs and BHAs) are the most effective and least irritating, because when many acids are combined, each can be used in a lower (i.e. milder) concentration. Beta Hydroxy Acid is derived from willow bark and birch. Medical grade BHA is actually synthesized in a laboratory.
- Substance such as gum Arabic, gum tragacanth, glycerin and sorbitol that dispense, swell, absorb water, increase consistency and hold ingredients together.
- Extracts prepared from animal tissues. Soluble collagen and hydrolyzed elastin are to examples.
- Plant pigments whose potent antioxidant powers keep fruits and vegetables from turning brown. Act as powerful antioxidants in the body and considered effective free-radical scavengers. Also essential for the stability and absorption of antioxidant, Vitamin C, one of the key collagen-building catalysts. Found in apricots, cherries, cantaloupe, papaya, grape seed extract, citrus fruits, black tea, onions, parsley, legumes, red wine, red grapes and all blue and purple berries.
- Texturizer, healing properties, needed to stimulate healthy circulation ot red blood cells, helps with dermatitis. Used to clarify and regenerate the skin.
- Targets the main cause of alopecia: poor scalp micro-circulation and follicular atrophy caused by dihydrotestosterone and follicle againg. Also provides a protective and reparative effect for different structures of the hair follicle.
- Anti-inflammatory. Increases skin hydration, surface lipids and skin elasticity. Reduces sensitivity in the skin and soothes irritation.
This natural anti--inflammatory and anti-bacterial ingredient is obtained from chamomile, where the bisabolol isomer is the active principle in the plant. It has been used for hundreds of years in medicinal applications and helps to accelerate the healing process of the skin, and can be used confidently on sensitive skin.
- A plug of keratin and sebum within a hair follicle that is blackened at the surface.
- A potent antioxidant over 500 times stronger than Vitamin E and 10 times stronger than beta-carotene. Shown to enhance the immune system, and reduce the acute inflammation reaction of the skin and underlying tissue that follows excessive exposure to UV radiation. Protects cells against oxidation by quenching singlet oxygen and dissipating the energy as heat, and scavenging free radicals to prevent and terminate chain reactions.
- Network of tube-like vessels that supply nutrients and oxygen to the skin.
Blueberry Fruit Extract
- See Vaccinium Angustifolia.
- Derived from the seeds of the borage plant that grows in Europe and North Africa. It is high in gamma-linolenic acid, an essential fatty acid.
Borage Seed Oil
- is derived from the seeds of the Borago officinalis (borage). It is used medicinally as an anti-inflammatory, for treating arthritis, as well as certain skin conditions (e.g. atopic dermatitis) and respiratory inflammation.
Borango Officinalis Seed Oil
- Nourishing oil that hydrates the skin. It is a rich source of Gamma Linolenic Acid and also contains important vitamins and minerals.
Boswellia Serrata Bark Powder
- Anti-inflammatory that stimulates cellular regeneration, tightens and tones through astringent actions, soothes dry and irritated skin.
- Extract derived from plants. Botanicals are single compounds that are sometimes used in combination for a more powerful affect.
Brassica Oleracea Italica (Broccoli) Seed Oil
- Rich in phytochemicals and antioxidants, protects against UV-induced damage and inflammation.
Broad Spectrum Protection
- Protects from both ultraviolet light type A and B. Also commonly noted as UVA and UVB protection.
- Proteolytic enzyme isolated from pineapple stem. It hydrolyses proteins into peptides and amino acids, thus smoothing the skin.
An enzyme in pineapple that promotes protein metabolism and helps fight inflammation. Bromelain hydrolyzes proteins at precise points and eliminates dead cells, improving skin texture.
Buddleja Davidii Extract (organic)
- Provides powerful ozone-protecting activity due to the natural compounds it contains including phenylethanoids, flavonoids, and chkxogenic acid. Has the capacity to reduce damage from UVB radiation, is an antioxidant, wound heaSng and antibacterial. Also inhibits the production of melanin and dendrite growth, and produces a visible reduction of pigmentation.
Buddleja Davidii Meristem Cell Culture
- A native plant to Eastern Asia which provides the regenerating properties of stem cells and protection from photo--aging through restricted MMP activation.
A comprehensive approach to photoaging. It offers protection form UV induced oxidative stress, inhibits inflammation and controls UV induced matrix metalloproteinase activation. It can also be effective in preventing post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation.
- Usually a solution with a relatively constant acidity/alkalinity ratio used to lengthen the shelf life of the product and make it gentler on the complexion.
Butylated Hydroxtoluene (BHT)
- A food grade preservative which also acts as an antioxidant.
- An emulsifier and humectant. Helps skin retain water content.
Butylparaben (Butyl p-hydroxybenzoate)
- A preservative used in cosmetics and beauty products, primarily as an antimicrobial and antifungal preservative to prolong the shelf life of formulas.
Butyrospermum Parkil (Shea Butter)
- Obtained from the fruit of the karite tree, shea butter is a skin-conditioning ingredient that is well known for its moisturizing, protecting and healing properties. It soothes damaged skin, promotes cell regeneration and assists in circulation. Contains phytosterol which stimulates the formation and growth of new cells, helpful in aging skin and damaged conditions. It is non-irritating and can be used on even the most sensitive areas of the face and body.
Protects against UV produced erythema, smooths superficial epidermal layers. Treats skin atrophy, solar erythema, desquamative dermatitis of the hands and aids in general healing. Regenerates skin tissue.