Coconut water has been showing up on more store shelves. Its growing popularity is a result of claims on health and skin benefits. With the pandemic and shortages of certain items, coconut water surprisingly was one of them. It leaves you wondering what all the craze with this drink is?
What Is Coconut Water?
If you crack open a coconut seed, you will find a layer of creamy, white meat surrounding a center filled with a clear watery liquid, which is the coconut water. That liquid is mildly flavored and is 94% water along with vitamin C, electrolytes, and a small amount of carbohydrates.
Health Benefits of Coconut Water
- Good Source of Nutrients - Coconut water contains fiber, protein, vitamin C, magnesium, manganese, potassium, sodium, and calcium.
- High in Electrolytes - The body loses electrolytes and hydration through sweat. Coconut water helps to replenish and maintain proper fluid balance.
- Reduce Blood Pressure - The potassium in coconut water helps counteract the blood pressure boosting effect of sodium, which may lower high blood pressure.
- Prevent Kidney Stones - Kidney stones are a result of crystals forming in the urine. Study shows that coconut prevents crystals from sticking to the kidneys and other parts of the urinary tract. It also reduces the number of crystals formed in the urine.
Skin Benefits of Coconut Water
- Rich in Vitamins - Coconut water is rich in vitamin C, A, and K to help with collagen formation. It also contains antioxidants, which are good in removing toxins from the body. Potassium promotes hydration and calcium balance to encourage skin growth.
- Fights Acne - The anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties in coconut water acts may help to reduce acne breakout. It also decreases the excess oil on the skin, which helps with less acne appearing.
- Anti-aging - Vitamins in coconut water slow down the skin aging process allowing the skin to restore and repair itself. Cytokines encourage cell growth and activation, while vitamin C protects against and repair sun damage.
- Cleanse and Hydrates - Being dehydrated causes dryness, itchy patches, dark circles, and fine lines. Coconut water has excellent hydrating qualities and effective as a cleanser. It naturally moisturizes without adding excess oil.